Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Stockholm Project

.
Yes, I know I don't exist anymore.  But as I said a while ago, until my life gets interesting again (i.e. I have a job), every day is the same for me, so there's no point in posting 800 posts that all say "I'm stuck on this new chapter of Icewind Dale* and I'm frustrated because this game is too old to find relevant guides online" and then immediately following, create 800 more equally depressing, self-depricating posts that say "Hey, I figured it out, now if only I could use my gaming strategy genius to land a job".

On the job front, I did interview with a law firm in San Francisco yesterday, and I feel pretty good about it.  So keep your fingers crossed for me.  Seriously.  Do it now.  Other job front news includes an upcoming contract signing for the stage management of the next season of Ivory Arts Inc. shows.  I'm really excited about working with my friend, the Director (will probably update the DP with an entry about him later...probably), again, but auditions for the first show won't start until late October.  So for now, I'm kind of stuck in Limbo (and not the fun, but not always fun, Hawaiian-themed party game kind).

Anyway, the point I'm trying to get to is about a project started Temerity Jane.  She's calling it 'Stockholming Myself' and her latest entry on it can be found here.  The basic idea is that she's taking a full-body picture of herself every day in the hopes that she will see the effects of her new diet & exercise plan or, "failing that, will learn to like what [she's] got based on continual, unrelenting exposure".  It's an interesting idea and a project I'm considering doing.  If I do decide to do this, though, I don't think I'll be posting a picture every day.  More than likely, it'll be once a week or a couple times a week.  And my goals will probably be less about changing how I feel about my body than learning to be comfortable in front of a camera.  Because let's get one thing straight: I am not photogenic.  There aren't a whole lot of pictures of me that I like that don't involve me making a silly face.  A prime example:

 This is me and my bestest friend.  I'm the one on the left.  

I love this picture, but note the silly face I'm making.  This is because attempts at a normal smile in pictures don't turn out well.  I either looked stoned, or way oh-my-god excited, or like I want to rip your soul out through your nostrils.

And then there's the the dreaded full-body pictures.  My problem with full-body pictures is, again, not because I have any problem with my body.  I apparently have a problem with posture.  And not just, 'Oh look, I'm slouching a little bit there, damn' kind of a posture problem.  If someone points a camera at me from far enough away that my legs are visible, my spine decides to attempt to jump into the fourth dimension.  The fourth dimension being time, and jumping into the fourth dimension meaning an attempt to fast forward to a pregnancy filled future than I'm not sure I want.  Don't believe me?  Here, one a few full-body pictures that don't look completely awful.
 
Again, me with my bestest friend.  And again, I am on the left.

I'm clearly drinking some form of adult libation (what else does anyone put in those red plastic cups?) and I look like I'm really, really, really oh-my-god excited to see you.  As a picture of my face, this is fairly typical.  As a full-body picture, it isn't.  My posture isn't great, but this picture would not lead you to believe that in a few months I will deliver a baby with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.  A typical full-body picture looks like this:


Yes, those tights are just as amazing in person.

What the Hell?!  Seriously.  It's the same night, the same place, the same clothes.  And yet in the time it took the person with my camera to move from in front of the couch to the center of the room, I managed to consume a six month fetus.  What can I say?  I guess when I see a camera, babies sound tastay.

./sigh

So I am considering participating in the Stockholm Project.  Because I need to get to the point where if someone points a camera at me, I don't have to go through a mental check-list that includes "stand up straight and suck it in, smile with your eyes, stand up straight and suck it in, don't grin like an idiot, stand up straight and suck it in, don't make a silly face, and stand up straight and suck it in".  Also because it might be a nice incentive to actually keep up a good diet & exercise plan, instead of just starting the same one every few weeks and getting bored.  Also also, it'll give me something to write about while I wait to hear about the job in San Francisco.  (You are still crossing your fingers about that one, right?)


I guess you'll be seeing more of me then.  Both literally and figuratively. 

'Til tomorrow. Cheers.



*Since I can no longer afford my World of Warcraft subscription, I am limited to single player, non-online games. Which would be fine, if I could afford new games.  But I can't.  So I'm replaying all of the old games that used to keep me up until 3a.m. in high school.  Some of you might be saying that I could just stop playing games (coughcoughNennycoughcough), but then I'd jut resort to watching television until my eyes dry out and I get a headache.  Also, I really am super stuck on this chapter of IWD and that's pathetic, but I'd still like a magic guide to drop out of the sky and tell me how to kill the Ancient Guardians in the caves of Dorn's Deep.  Yes, Nenny, laugh at me now.  I am a giant nerd.
.

3 comments:

  1. Try http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/256221/8166

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blunt weaponry, eh? Awesome, I think only my cleric has any form of blunt weapon. (Also, I'm sure there's a that's what she said joke in there somewhere.)

    Thank you thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Np - that site has guides for most games of that type. I even wrote some of them (although not that one).

    ReplyDelete